Yoga and sleep – how does yoga help?
I am often asked whether your Yoga practice can help your sleep so here are a few tips. As the Yoga asana calm the central nervous system and allow the mind to become quiet this allows us to switch off and fall and stay asleep more quickly. Other forms of exercise can also help with sleep. If you are going to engage in other exercise it is best to do this earlier in the day and your Yoga practice later but modern lifestyle and time constraints may make this more difficult. So if you do find yourself unable to sleep with an active mind, try the following short yoga practice:-
- Uttanasana (standing forward fold)
- Child’s pose (sit back on your heels and support your head with a cushion or bolster)
- Downward Facing Dog
- Paschimottanasana (seated forward fold)
- Supta Baddha Konasana (lie down with soles of feet touching, legs in diamond shape)
- Breathe, enjoy the practice and sleep well!